for low vision impairment and blind
1. Low web accessibility for the disabled
2. The limitations of TTS(Text to Speech) function
3. Unkind transportation apps to people who are blind
4. 3rd party assistance is required when using public transportation
1. It provides a contrasting color, readable text size, noticeable visual image, vibration pattern, and voice notification to increase accessibility for apps.
2. It provides an overall solution for users to take a bus. Finding the bus stop, finding the right bus, getting on the bus, and getting off from the bus.
1. Definition: Blind - people with no or little visual information. Low vision - people with impaired vision, who can live by utilizing their vision.
2. The percentage of smartphones with disabilities is increasing.
3. While the retention rate of smart phones is increasing, there has been a slight increase in the ability to use and utilization of digital devices.
Although TTS(Text to Speech) function for people who are blind has been introduced to Smartphones, there are no alternative characters that can be converted to voice. Also, there is no auditory or tactile assistance available in apps. Thus, reducing accessibility to apps for people who are blind.
Since display screens of smart devices are designed mainly for people with normal vision, it is difficult for most people with low vision to use them properly.
Blind people find it difficult to recognize where they are and where they are going. Long-distance travel requires continued assistance from a third party. It is difficult to make subjective movements.
According to Sookmyung Women's University's Web Development Institute, 10 out of 12 existing public transportation applications were considered to be very insufficient for people who are blind. The development of public transportation applications is not enough for blind people.
While the blind people relatively satisfied with the subway system due to its high convenience and guaranteed regularity, the blind people complained about the bus system because of its safety, such as frequent stops. Therefore, it was necessary to make a bus application for blind people to give them a general chance to use the bus.
Interviews and user tests were conducted for 13 people (two blind people and eleven people with low vision). In addition, we did interviews with social welfare service providers and other related people to users.
The blind usually use a white cane while walking on the street. Braille blocks are not well managed on the floor.
It is hard to walk in the street since there are many obstacles. Also, people who use smartphones are dangerous to blind people because they cannot care about their surroundings.
If the frequently used road is under construction, it is difficult to find the way because it is different from the usual route.
The booking process is cumbersome, long waiting and expensive. (2.5 times more expensive than regular taxis)
It is difficult to pinpoint the exact location of the station.
If multiple buses come at once, it is difficult to find a bus to take.
It is difficult to get on the bus due to the short stop time.
The arrival time of the announcement is incorrect.
It is difficult to find the current location and there is a risk of fraud.
It is more expensive than public transportation.
Guide dogs are only supported by the blind, so people with low vision have limitations in their use.
The criteria for selection are very strict.
Training and management are difficult.
The information has been terminated near the destination and the exact destination is unknown.
Are you interested in my project and want to know more?